Re: Issues with and after upgrade to texlive

Frank Küster <frank@debian.org> wrote:

>> At first I also had the texlive meta package unselected. Adding that back
>> got me back to 201 MB _extra_ diskspace again, so I've decided to see if
>> I can do without or not...
>
> All the metapackages are meant as convenience for users.  If you want a
> minimal installation for a particular purpose, e.g. building a package
> or document, you should select individual packages.  For example,
> "texlive" as well as "tetex-bin" will select ConTeXt (from an external
> source package) which isn't needed at all if you process LaTeX
> documents.

Currently, tetex-bin Depends: texlive.  If we change that to

Depends: texlive-latex-base, texlive-latex-recommended, \
  texlive-fonts-recommended

then we loose files that used to be installed with tetex (notably
context), but I think we'll get much closer to what most people actually
used of tetex-bin.  And ConTeXt users will know what they miss, anyway.
This "will use 64.6 MB of disk space" and, together with an entry in
NEWS.Debian, should make most people happy.