Re: Back from the mountains / Problem when purging TL 2007?

Florent Rougon <f.rougon@free.fr> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Glad to learn you had a good time!
>
> While playing with tex-common's doc, I uninstalled TL 2007 to reinstall
> tetex (because debiandoc2latexpdf wasn't too happy with TL...).

How did you do that?  "apt-get remove <what>"?  Which parts of TL were
installed?

> But after the tetex install, pdftex didn't work (Fatal format error; I'm
> stymied). I then purged all the tetex packages and noticed there was
> still a lot of stuff in /var/lib/texmf, including IIRC a pdf(e?)tex
> directory.

Hm, /var/lib/texmf/web2c/<engine> is in fact used in TL 2007.  I'm
surprised, becaues I thought this was only the case for context.

I can reproduce that

- with TL 2007, there are multiple format dumps for pdflatex, both in
  /v/l/t/w/pdfetex and /v/l/t/w/pdftex

- after "apt-get remove texlive-common", there's still /v/l/t/w/pdftex
  (but only that) with formats in it

but installing teTeX works fine, pdflatex runs, and pdftex says

This is pdfeTeX, Version 3.141592-1.21a-2.2 (Web2C 7.5.4)
entering extended mode
(./times-sty.tex
! Undefined control sequence.
l.1 \documentclass