Re: unable to install texmacs under texlive

Mauricio Calvao <orca@if.ufrj.br> wrote:

> Hi Frank,
>
> I created the dummy packages for tetex-base, tetex-bin and
> tetex-extra, via equivs and dpkg (having to use a
> --force-conflicts). Unfortunately, when I was to install texmacs,
> afterwards, there were problems:

Yes, sorry - the conflicts are un-versioned.  I fear it won't work this
way.  However, there's already a texlive-compliant package of texmacs
(and some other packags) at

deb http://www.tug.org/texlive/Debian/ updpkg/

(see http://www.tug.org/texlive/debian.html).  It corresponds to the
testing version of texmacs (Norbert, are you subscribed to the PTS of
these packages, so that you notice when there's a new version in
testing?  Should we subscribe the list to the PTS?)

> The reason I chose texlive (instead of tetex) was that I understood
> that it is somehow more comprehensive than tetex and will eventually
> replace it.

Yes, and it's already more up-to-date in etch.  But we didn't manage to
contact all package maintainers to add texlive as alternative dependency.

> I managed to make kile work with texlive and, in
> principle, I would like to have latex-beamer as well.

beamer should work fine with texlive, what's the problem?

> Do you think
> that removing texlive and installing tetex from scratch, then kile and
> texmacs might be a better decision, while texlive is not fully
> compliant with other (la)tex packages yet???

It's not texlive that isn't compliant, it's a couple of add-on
packages.