Re: Meta-package to replace tetex-extra

> On Die, 19 Dez 2006, Florent Rougon wrote:
>> > In other words, we need to urge maintainers of documentation packages
>> > to add a texlive-lang-* dependency for each language they add to their
>> > docs.  I think this is a disadvantage of texlive as a tool for automated
>> > documentation processing, but I don't see any way out.
>>
>> Well, is there any real point not turning on most patterns by default,
>> as is the case in teTeX? If not, why not do the same for TeX Live?
>> Probably some texlive-lang-* packages would then become useless; they
>> could be removed from the archive---I don't see it as a problem.
>
> Hmmm, in theory possible, but I would opt NOT to just unconditionally
> activate ALL hyphen patters, as there are quite a lot, and it may happen
> that the TeX mem is exceeded.

I had the same objections before we activated all of them for teTeX.
Someone in de.comp.text.tex showed me that it doesn't really make a
difference.  TeXlive as a couple more, but I don't think it will make a
large difference.

> If we have *only* all the texlive-lang-* patterns then it should work,
> but there is already one other package littex which provides patterns
> for Lithuanian, and there is always the option that new will emerge.

That's a totally different issue: If the patterns are in a different
source package, we can't move them around, and we will still need the
update-language mechanism.

> At
> the end this could easily exceed TeX pattern size. Imagine:
> - texlive-lang-*
> - latex-cjk-*
> - littex		(up to here it works ;-)
> - other than patterns for arabic, etc etc

We can just increase the pattern size, as long as there is no relevant
decay in performance.