Re: Meta-package to replace tetex-extra

Florent Rougon <f.rougon@free.fr> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Frank Küster <frank@debian.org> wrote:
>
>> Among these, the *-lang-* packages do *not* provide the hyphenation
>> patterns.
>
> I don't understand that. Last time I installed the TL packages, I had to
> install texlive-lang-french in order to have the french hyphenation
> patterns loaded.

Yes, I was fooled because I only compared tetex-extra with texlive.  So
we have an even more severe problem with metapackages:  In teTeX, the
combination base+bin provides all available hyphenation patterns - in
TeXlive this requires installing a multitude of lang-packages.

In other words, we need to urge maintainers of documentation packages
to add a texlive-lang-* dependency for each language they add to their
docs.  I think this is a disadvantage of texlive as a tool for automated
documentation processing, but I don't see any way out.