Re: [NTG-context] New Debian context package based on context release 061207

Norbert Preining wrote:
Hi Danai!

On Son, 10 Dez 2006, Danai SAE-HAN wrote:
So here is -0.2, which does the following:
- install doc files
- do NOT install any map activation files in /etc/texmf/updmap.d
So if I understand correctly, ConTeXt (which I haven't used yet)
doesn't use the .map files anymore with pdfTeX?  This might be
interesting for the CJK packages.  Or is the change only relevant for
ConTeXt-specific fonts?

No, but the map files are installed into
	..../texmf/fonts/map/pdftex/context/...
so that context/pdftex finds them. But there is no need for activation
via updmap as *only* pdftex is used. Or at least this is how I
understand it.

the problem with a big map file is that it is potentially problematic (it definitely was in the past) because there is some fuzzy logic involved when embedded files are handled in pdftex;

so, in context, i don't preload all map files, but use \pdfmapfile{...} to explicitly load a map file so that we can be sure we have the right one -- keep in mind that we can have files on the system with similar internal names (the one between " in the map file) but different metric (slant, ext, cap,...) ; so, when you have a problem with a missing file (reported by pdftex), you can use \loadmapfile[somename.map] in context

Hans