Re: Mapping of teTeX files to TeXLive packages

Frank Küster wrote:

> By the way, we've had little feedback about the TeX policy and
> implementation by maintainers of TeX add-on packages.  It seems you did
> read and understand it - I'd be glad if you could report any
> inconsistencies, badly phrased parts etc.

Hi Frank,

It has actually been a while since I looked at the policy - I ITP'ed
feynmf about a year ago.  At the time I remember having to re-read the
policy a few times to figure out exactly what parts applied to me, since
feynmf doesn't do anything fancy (no fonts, no formats).  Perhaps there
could be an obvious section at the beginning of ch. 4.2 titled something
like "Configuration of simple TeX add-ons", for which all that needs to
be done on post{inst,rm} is to run update-updmap.  Or maybe a tutorial
would be helpful with several different cases.

I also wasn't clear on exactly where add-on packages should be installed
under TEXMFMAIN.  I settled on creating directories
/u/s/t/tex/latex/feynmf, /u/s/t/metafont/feynmf and
/u/s/t/metapost/feynmf based on where other Debian packages put things,
but this was not immediately obvious.  I guess TeX will find everything
under TEXMFMAIN no matter how it's organized, but guidelines could be
helpful.

Also, maybe push dh_installtex a little more, including mentioning the
minimum version of tex-common one should Build-Depend(-Indep) upon to
use it.  I think a lot of what's mentioned in the policy chapter 4 is
now automated by dh_installtex somehow?  Ditto for the appendix.

Hope these suggestions are useful.
best regards,