Re: number of fonts is limited in pdfTeX

From: Frank Küster <frank@kuesterei.ch>

> >> Which fonts (or other things) do I need to have installed?  With
> >> latex-cjk-chinese-arphic-bkai00mp installed, I get lots of error
> >> messages of the type
> >>
> >> kpathsea: Running mktexpk --mfmode / --bdpi 600 --mag 1+264/600 --dpi 864 bkaiu99
> >> mktexpk: don't know how to create bitmap font for bkaiu99.
> >> kpathsea: Appending font creation commands to missfont.log.
> >> (see the transcript file for additional information)
> >> Warning: pdflatex (file bkaiu99): Font bkaiu99 at 864 not found
> >> kpathsea: Running mktexpk --mfmode / --bdpi 600 --mag 2+293/600 --dpi 1493 bkaiu93
> >> mktexpk: don't know how to create bitmap font for bkaiu93.
> >
> > How strange.  It shouldn't use "bkaiu" (which is the Unicode encoded
> > font) but "bkai".  But the "bkai" fonts are all virtual fonts
> > redirecting glyphs to those of "bkaiu".  Perhaps that's why mktexpk
> > complains about missing "bkaiu" files, but I wonder.
> >
> > mktexpk shouldn't even be running, since all the fonts are already
> > provided as Type1 fonts.
>
> I haven't changed anything in the file test.tex. latex runs without
> problems, and subsequently dvipdfmx produces a nice PDF file.  Only
> pdftex wants to create the pk fonts.  Moreover, the log file after a
> pdflatex run has many more instances of
>
> +Missing character: There is no <84> in font ...
>
> than the dvi version.
>
> > If you run test.tex with "latex", it should be fine.  pdflatex should
> > fail with this arithmetic bug.  The packages you need are:
> > latex-cjk-common, latex-cjk-chinese and
> > latex-cjk-chinese-arphic-bkai00mp.
>
> $ dpkg -l latex-cjk-common latex-cjk-chinese latex-cjk-chinese-arphic-bkai00mp *arphic* | grep ^ii
> ii  latex-cjk-chinese                 4.7.0+cvs20061019-1 Chinese module of LaTeX CJK
> ii  latex-cjk-chinese-arphic-bkai00mp 1.15                traditional Chinese KaiTi fonts for CJK
> ii  latex-cjk-chinese-arphic-bkai00mp 1.15                traditional Chinese KaiTi fonts for CJK
> ii  latex-cjk-chinese-arphic-bsmi00lp 1.15                traditional Chinese KaiTi fonts for CJK
> ii  latex-cjk-chinese-arphic-gbsn00lp 1.15                traditional Chinese KaiTi fonts for CJK
> ii  latex-cjk-chinese-arphic-gkai00mp 1.15                traditional Chinese KaiTi fonts for CJK
> ii  latex-cjk-common                  4.7.0+cvs20061019-1 LaTeX macro package for CJK (Chinese/Japanes
> ii  ttf-arphic-bsmi00lp               2.10-6.1            "AR PL Mingti2L Big5" Chinese TrueType font
>
> Is something missing here?

No.  Strange, so "latex" runs fine and finds the Type1 fonts, but
"pdflatex" can't...  Weird.

I'm still using the unchanged pdfTeX binary.  Could you unpatch it and
patch it again with
http://sarovar.org/tracker/?func=detail&atid=495&aid=705&group_id=106 ?

If that doesn't work, could you provide me the output of
KPATHSEA_DEBUG=-1 pdflatex test.tex ?

Thanks

Danai SAE-HAN
韓達耐