Re: Switching from teTeX to TexLive in Ubuntu

Tweedale <seesig@nospam.com> writes:

> On 20 Nov 2006 at  8:51, Ralf Stubner wrote:
>> Before you are spreading FUD: Have you made bug reports to the Ubuntu
>> people? I know that you have not talked with the Debian people you are
>> accusing here.
>
> Before proceeding, I should admit that I haven't yet made the effort to
> submit bug reports, thinking (naively) that relevant maintainers would
> likely be onto the case pretty quickly...

Please report bugs. Some things happen only under particular
circumstances (see below) and the maintainers cannot test all
possiblities.

>> Simply put, if there are any generic (ie not Ubunutu specifc) problems
>> with the TeX Live or teTeX packages (Peter was talking about the
>> latter), than we (the Debian TeX team) would like to hear about them.
>
> ...but the biggest problem I've found (on Debian testing) since the
> migration is the number of packages that depend on tetex-* and haven't
> updated this to texlive-*. A good example is muttprint: here someone did
> file a bug report
> (http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=388201), which was
> prematurely closed (see the last message in that thread).

This is a very interesting example. The dependencies of muttprint in
etch are actually fine containing the relevant "tetex | texlive"
packages. However, if you use TeX Live but without texlive-latex-extra
installed, installing muttprint would indeed switch to tetex. Why is
that so? I think it is the dependency

tetex-extra | texlive-latex-extra

which APT tries to fulfill by installing tetex-extra. However, this
fetches the other tetex-* packages, especially tetex-bin which kicks out
texlive. One can circumvent this by first selecting texlive-latex-extra
and then muttprint in aptitude.

I am not sure if this a problem in the dependencies of muttprint (no
idea how to improve them, though), of tetex-extra and texlive
(downgrading the dependencies on tetex-bin to a Recommends would make it
installable in conjunction with texlive if one removes the Conflicts
there) or in the way APT tries to satisfy dependencies (if there are
several possibilities, one could test all and then use the one which
causes fewer other changes).

> There must be plenty of other packages in this situation, only some of
> which I use - couldn't you somehow contact all the maintainers and ask
> them to update their dependencies?

It would be nice if all TeX depending packages had updated dependencies,
but for this release cycle actually getting TeX Live in and making the
teTeX 2 -> teTeX 3 switch was plenty enough work. Help of users who
write bug reports for depending packages are of course appreciated.

> And then of course there are packages
> with outdated build dependencies, for example:
[...]

Build dependencies is a whole new story that has to be dealt with in the
next release cycle.

cheerio
ralf