teTeX and basic LaTeX infrastructure (was: How to deal with teTeX's and texlive's RC licensing bugs)

Ralf Stubner <ralf.stubner@physik.uni-erlangen.de> wrote:

> Actually xcolor.sty is part of teTeX 3 but is not included in the
> packages since a separate package existed. So if the latex-xcolor
> package is dropped, one could simply install it together with the rest
> of teTeX. IMHO this would be a good idea, since xcolor by now belongs to
> the 'infrastructure' that should be provided by the TeX distribution.

Good point.  teTeX 3.0 has the same version number as latex-xcolor,
texlive's version is newer.

> BTW, this raises the question whether it would make sense to have, say,
> tetex-extra suggest/recommend those packages that are normally part of
> teTeX (lmodern, latex-beamer, latex-xcolor, pgf, anyhting else?).

That's a good point.  From rules.d/install.mk:

lmdirs = tex/latex/lm/ doc/fonts/lm/ fonts/afm/public/lm/ \
  fonts/enc/dvips/lm/ fonts/map/dvips/lm/ fonts/tfm/public/lm/ \
  fonts/type1/public/lm/
preview-latex-dirs = doc/latex/preview/ tex/latex/preview
pgf-dirs = tex/latex/pgf doc/latex/pgf
xcolor-dirs = tex/latex/xcolor doc/latex/xcolor
texinfo-dirs = 	tex/texinfo
beamer-dirs = tex/latex/beamer doc/latex/beamer
remove-dirs = $(lmdirs) $(preview-latex-dirs) $(pgf-dirs) $(xcolor-dirs) $(texinfo-dirs) $(beamer-dirs)

These are the directories removed from the texmf tree.  I think it would
be good to add Recommends on those; will you do that?

Frank Küster