Re: RFP: xetex - An extension of TeX with Unicode and OpenType support

Hi all!

On Fre, 25 Aug 2006, Ralf Stubner wrote:
> > True, absolutely true. The only question is who? I have not enough
> > knowledge on xetex etc to do this. And not enough time.
>
> First of all #365672 has been changed from an RFP to an ITP some time
> ago. I can't remember right now who did this, though. This is one
> obvious candidate. The other obvious candidate would be myself. I do

Could you contact him:
	"Benj. Mako Hill" <mako@debian.org>

> have the necessary knoweldge on XeTeX, fonts and stuff like that. But I
> am a bit short on time right now.
>
> > One idea would be to put the package as Kohda-san prepared it into svn
> > and we try to care all together for this...
>
> In that case I would definitely try to help as much as possible.

Well let's ask Benjamin first, whether he has done something in this
direction and whether he still wants to do the packaging.

We could also give him svn access and check in the stuff into svn, so
that we (all of us) can get the xetex thingy right.

> One really difficult task is getting the hyphenation patterns right for
> cooperation with both teTeX and TeX Live. The hack I am using for my
> personal installation is not really good ...

This can be worked out.

> Besides XeTeX one also needs xdvipdfmx (also an ITP). Here the
> relationship with the existing dvipdfmx packages are non trivial. At

Ok, but same approach as above, or?

DETCHANT (n.)
(Of the hands or feet.) Prunelike after an overlong bath.