Re: pdftex 1.40

Ralf Stubner <ralf.stubner@physik.uni-erlangen.de> wrote:

> Frank Küster wrote:
>> Frank Küster <frank@costa.debian.org> wrote:
>>> Added:
>>>    tetex-bin/branches/pdftex-1.4/
>>> Log:
>>> Creating an experimental branch for pdftex 1.40
>>
>> I'm just playing.  Whether this will be released to experimental, with
>> plans to release it with etch, this I don't know.  Or rather, I don't
>> have an opinion yet, and of course would like to hear yours - once it
>> turned out to work.
>
> I would say we should include pdfTeX 1.40, if it works correctly. Or do
> you want to have people migrate to TeX Live?

Well, I think people will not migrate to TeXLive completely, and we can
as well have an up-to-date pdfTeX in the teTeX packages.  Yes, if it
works correctly, we probably should include it.

It's not trivial, though.  The pdfTex sources compile fine on a system
with teTeX-3.0, but the build system is from TeXLive.  Therefore it's
not trivial to integrate it into the teTeX source tree, especially since
I don't know much about change files, intermediate pascal etc.pp.  An
opportunity to learn it...

Frank Küster