Re: [tex-live] Re: Proposal for a tex-base package

>> We can also change update-texmf.  The purpose of the check, after all,
>> is to ensure that some formats are available at all.  So we should
>> rather check whether there's either a real tetex.cnf from teTeX, or a
>> texlive.cnf from texlive - or how ever they will be called.
>
> I have now checked the differences between tetex-texmf.cnf and texlive
> texmf.cnf.
>
> I would say there is nothing which prevents us from putting the whole
> texmf.cnf stuff into the tex-common package. What do you think?

If we can have common files, we should put it into tex-common.  If one
of the packages needs additional settings, we can always add a file in
texmf.d/.

later, quoting TE:

> > >     TEXFONTMAPS = .;$TEXMF/fonts/map//;$TEXMF/dvips//
> > >     ENCFONTS = .;$TEXMF/fonts/enc//;$TEXMF/dvips//
> >
> > teTeX does not have what is claimed here. Or, Norbert is speaking of a
> > different teTeX than me...
>
> Sorry, I disn't state it in full correctness, I meant debian-tetex
> packages have this. As we are speaking about packaging texlive for
> debian, I thought that it was clear what I compared.
>
> Frank has for sure an explanation why this is different in debian.

Yes, this is a legacy setting that was designed to allow packages with
an old font placement to work with teTeX 3.0.  It was introduced while I
still had hope to bring 3.0 into sarge, and can now be dropped.

> only in texlive:
> OSFONTDIR = /please/set/osfontdir/in/the/environment

Is there any need for this?  Or the other way round, can we e.g. use
this to make TrueType fonts available that are installed anyway?

> the following one is strange in tetex, what shoud /usr/etc contain?
> MIMELIBDIR = /usr/etc                   (in tetex???!?! /usr/etc???)
> MIMELIBDIR = $SELFAUTOPARENT/etc

/usr/etc is for sure wrong, it's just the expansion of @prefix@/etc.
What is this path intended for?

> MAILCAPLIBDIR = /usr/etc
> MAILCAPLIBDIR = $SELFAUTOPARENT/etc
>
> only in texlive, will go away for the debian package, as all the doc
> files go to /usr/share/doc/texlive-package/...
> TEXMFDOCDIR = $SELFAUTOPARENT/texmf-doc/doc

What is this for?  Should we set this to /etc/, where the mailcap file
is?

> More interesting is the mem size differences:

As Hans has suggested, I'd take the larger ones from texlive.