Install stalls with sarge

I am trying to install sarge, but the installation doesn't seem to be able
to detect my hard drive. When I select the "Partition a Hard Drive" option,
nothing happens, and the installation menu just returns to the
"Partition..." option. When I start cfdisk in ash I get "FATAL ERROR: Cannot
open disk drive". I have searched some of the buglists but I cannot tell if
this is documented or has been resolved. Is there a way to get around this?

Ruben