Re: finger and users broken

Eric Nodwell writes:

 > Since upgrading to testing (some time ago), the finger and users
 > commands have been broken.  Both these commands miss most of the users
 > who are logged on, while also showing some users who aren't currently
 > logged on.  Anybody have any ideas how to fix this?

I'm not sure this is due to your upgrade. You can see users that are
not logged in because of application crashes that makes some ttys or ptys
unreleased. This is not a bug in finger or rusers since those programs
only look at the utmp file, but if the utmp file is broken because of
others applications you can't do anything in finger or rusers to fix the
problem.
How to fix this ? Fix crashing applications i suppose ;-) or give a look
at kernel devfs (it deals differently with tty and pty, see kernel docs).

Regards.

--
Davy Gigan
System & Network Administration      [Please no HTML, I'm not a browser]