Re: woody upgrade fails horribly

On Tue, Feb 26, 2002 at 02:09:48PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> Joy, could you put some docs for the "clone" command up on the BTS
> web page? See below for the description

I'm commiting this to the docs now. Sorry for the delay.

> On Mon, Feb 25, 2002 at 10:01:27PM -0500, Dale Scheetz wrote:
> > As always, YMMV, and testing is the right place to report failures before
> > filing bug reports.
>
> I've been thinking that maybe we should be a little more careful with
> the reports even before its been analysed to the point where we can file
> bugs against the appropriate packages.
>
> In that vein, there are two new pseudo-packages in the bug tracking system,
> with the maintainer set to this list:
>
> 	http://bugs.debian.org/upgrade-reports
> 	http://bugs.debian.org/installation-reports
>
> The theory is that when you do an install or an upgrade of the testing
> distro you should write a little report and send it to the bug tracking
> system. Once that's happened, people can help you analyse what packages
> are causing the bugs you've experienced, and file bugs against the
> correct packages.
>
> This latter part is (hopefully) made slightly easier by the new "clone"
> command, which lets you duplicate a bug and then reassign/retitle the
> new bug however you might want [0]. In theory, a user should be able
> to file an install report to the BTS, which can then be followed up on
> by a developer with a message to the bug number and control@bugs.d.o
> cloning and reassigning the bug to some/most/all of the packages that
> had problems during the install, along with enough analysis that the
> maintainers shouldn't need to get back to the original user.

We should also let people know that these pseudo-packages exist. Should I
add something to this effect to the testing web page, and to the other pages
about bug reports about the installation?

This sounds like a good replacement for boot-floppies (and other)
packages...

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.

Please CC: mails for me to me because I don't read debian-testing.