Re: Slink Readiness?

On Mon, Feb 08, 1999 at 11:44:30PM -0500, Adam Di Carlo wrote:

> On Mon, 08 Feb 1999 18:34:47 -0500, Brian White <bcwhite@pobox.com> said:
> >Adam Di Carlo said:
> >> Brian, do you know of anyone working on a set of Release Notes as
> >> in "what's new in slink?"  I've CC'd Bob Hilliard.
>
> > No, I don't.  There weren't any major milestones other than a more
> > stable "Hamm".
>
> Well, I would say that Alpha and Sparc is a pretty major milestone.

Additionally there's some bragging bait ...

Debian/Sparc is based on a prerelease of the shining new glibc2.1. So it's
probably _the_ first distribution which is glibc2.1 based. Remember:
glibc2.1 is binary compatible but not source compatible; almost everything
compiled for glibc2 will run on glibc2.1 but if you'll recompile with
glibc2.1 headers sometimes you've got to fix a couple of constructs
which aren't allowed anymore in glibc2.1.

Now: every package in main which is available for Debian/Sparc too is
fixed for compilation with glibc2.1 or has got an fix reported in the BTS.
This was a substantial amount of work (I know it because I reported
together with Hartmut Koptein most of the glibc2.1 related bugs ;-)

This fact should ease the i386 transition to glibc2.1 and will probably
give us an edge and save some time for potato.

Greetings,

				Christian

--
Christian Meder, email: meder@isr.uni-stuttgart.de