Re: Mesh networking in Switzerland

Hi again.

I think what you're looking for are dual-radio access points, which
use one radio for mesh-network and the other for communication with
their clients.

Dual radio (or perhaps multiple SSID support?) is part of the technology
side of the solution

I've actually played with the Buffalo WZR-HP-AG300H running OpenWRT, it
is dual radio, about 110 CHF here in .ch, but I never tried any of the
mesh software.  It is good for running anything that links to openssl
(e.g. a SIP proxy), because most routers don't have enough memory for that.

I know of one company offering this, I actually have same APs from
them that I wanted to use for testing, but didn't have the time yet...
http://www.open-mesh.com/

From what I see, they have recently switched to a cloud based management solution for openmesh, which is called CloudTrax.

I am not sure if you can still set up a network without this.

From technical point of view, http://funkfeuer.at/ offers a good solution for building meshed networks with shared uplinks which could also be used for building an internal network for safe communication.

I have now also contaced Fabian Affolter, who is a core contributor to OpenWireless, to tell us more about the technology they use (I am personally not yet aware aobut that).

What I was essentially looking for is somebody who might have a local
presence to get everything up and running quickly - I'm sure any of us
could build something using the open solutions (e.g. FreedomBox or
Commotion Wireless) but I'm going to struggle to find time for it in
this case.

Depends where you want to setup the network. I would also welcome if someone else would help, too ;)

Greets
Marcus

Philipp