Re: [Debconf13-ch] [Moray Allan] Re: DebConf13 venue decision meeting

Hi

Preliminary note: This will be my last mail on this until tonight. I
think we should try calm down a bit instead of fighting over what IMHO
are details. I think we all share a common goal and only differ about
little procedural details.

On Fri, 10 Feb 2012 10:18:35 +0100, Michele Cane <michele.cane@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey
>

> On Fri, 2012-02-10 at 10:06 +0100, Luca Capello wrote:
> > Hi there!
> >
> > On Fri, 10 Feb 2012 09:47:27 +0100, Gaudenz Steinlin wrote:
> > > As you can see below Moray is fine with the procedure suggested by
> > > Didier. Unfortunately his reply only went to my address. IMO after this
> > > mail we should switch back the discussion to the list. Unfortunately
> > > this started in private and I did not want to move it to a public list
> > > for that reason.
> > >
> > > So Luca, Michele and Cate please also fill the private Doodle poll if
> > > you feel qualified to speak in behalf of the Swiss team.
> >
> > I filled the private poll, even if I am not completely sure about the
> > "feel qualified" note, especially after:
> >
> >   <http://lists.debconf.net/lurker-net/message/20120210.084604.93c9ceef.en.html>
>
> I filled the poll too.
> I think, as someone mentioned before, that at least someone who went to
> Vaumarcus should be present.
>
> I share a similar view with Luca's thought about the prices:
>
> - Latvia will be alway cheaper than Switzerland and there is nothing we
> can do.

I don't think it's about beeing cheaper than Latvia but about going down
to a level where the DebConf team is convinced that this is not going to
end in a financial disaster. I guess they are a bit burnt by Debconf 10
in New York which used basically all savings from previous Debconfs.

> - The prices can be negotiated only after the eventual decision is taken
> (I think is harder to negotiate on an hypothetical situation).

I see your point. If this were not su much an issue with the global
team, I would also prefer to postpone this. On the other hand I guess
asking won't hurt either. One could also argue that once the decision is
made we are in a weaker position to negotiate because we depend on what
they offer us (if we don't want to change venue).

I see it more like a "Yes we are willing to offer some discount to be
negotiated once the decision for Switzerland is taken" vs. "No these are
our prices, take it or leave it" answer from Vaumarcus.

Best,
Gaudenz

--
Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter.