Re: Unneeded SH4 boards

Hi Adrian,

On 09.11.2015 16:06, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
> On 11/09/2015 02:41 PM, Vladimir Zapolskiy wrote:
>> PS, I like to continue development of SH4/SH4-A in Linux (at least
>> common clock framework and DT support are still missing), otherwise if
>> nobody pays attention to it (and Renesas as you know abandoned SH4), the
>> architecture will be simply removed in the nearest future.
>
> I don't think SuperH is going to be removed from the Linux kernel
> anytime soon as there is actually a new, ongoing effort to resurrect
> the architecture as an open architecture:

correct, but please account some facts:

* the J-Core initiative is only about core support, I believe there will
be no support of peripherals, because peripheral controllers are still
actively in use by Renesas on their ARM platforms,

* at the moment only J2 core is available (=SH2), it is unclear when J3
(=SH3) and then J4 (=SH4) appear, according to the roadmap J4 support
will be done only at the end of 2016, I don't know Linus Torvalds plans,
if he wants to keep unmaintained code for such a long period,

* if we assume that only SH2/3/4 cores have future in J-Core project,
then only a tiny piece of the current code base can potentially be
reused, for instance support of any existing SH4 boards will anyway be
removed as unmaintained :(

* I had a chat with Jeff Dionne (leader of J-Core project) on ELCE 2015
and he says that nobody from his group wants to maintain SH4 in Linux
project :(

>> https://lwn.net/Articles/647636/
>
> But I am all for someone working on improving SuperH support in the
> Linux kernel. So I will gladly help whereever I can ;).

Thank you, at the moment I'm keenly interested in getting at least one
reference board with JTAG and shared schematics.

--
With best wishes,
Vladimir