Re: GCC 4.7 is now the default for x86 architectures

On 07.05.2012 19:35, Thorsten Glaser wrote:
> Matthias Klose dixit:
>
>> GCC 4.7 is now the default for x86 architectures for all frontends except the D
>> frontends, including KFreeBSD and the Hurd.
>
> How are the plans for other architectures?

I don't have plans to change any other architectures. If a port is not a release
architectures (and port maintainers don't plan to make it a release
architecture), people can change the default at any time from my point of view.

> As for gcc-4.7 in general: a friend (authoring an ObjC framework _and_
> runtime) told me that it dropped support for an old method of doing
> things while not fulfilling the promise to get the new method of doing
> it (don’t exactly remember what it was, /msg js on freenode for details)
> fixed, with the effect that gobjc-4.7 is virtually useless/broken.
>
> This is hearsay, but ask him for details, and check them against
> reality.

I didn't rely on hearsay, but did ask the GNUstep maintainers for feedback.
Please join the Debian GNUstep package maintainers ML if you want to add
something, or review the past discussion.

  Matthias