Re: anyone still here?

On Fri, Mar 05, 2004 at 10:59:37PM +0900, YAEGASHI Takeshi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In the article <[🔎] 20040305114224.GA12399@grep.be>,
> Wouter Verhelst <wouter@grep.be> wrote:
>
> > [1  <text/plain; us-ascii (quoted-printable)>]
> > On Fri, Mar 05, 2004 at 04:59:50PM +0900, YAEGASHI Takeshi wrote:
> > > IMHO, there's no particular demand for having the *official* package
> > > repository for any arch of sh.  And platforms currently available are
> > > generally too slow and short of resources to keep up with sid.
> >
> > That's crap. m68k is a lot more slow than most SH machines, and I am
> > (mostly) keeping up with sid on my m68k mac; also, there is no real
> > problem building sid for m68k, because we have 10 autobuilders or so for
> > m68k (a bit less now, due to some more or less political issues). This
> > mail is written at the console of my m68k mac, BTW :-)
> >
> > It's most certainly possible; whether the demand is there, that's
> > something else.
>
> Indeed m68k is slower than sh, but m68k has many reliable platforms
> like a workstation with ample resources and expandable I/O interfaces.
> I've heard one of m68k buildd hosts have 128MB of memory and over 30GB
> of disk.
>
> On the other hand, most sh platforms we have are embedded or consumer
> products, not workstations.  They have minimal amount of memory
> (mostly 32MB or so) and none of secondary storage devices.  Moreover,
> they are not expandable easily.
>
> I think they are almost unusable for the self development of sid.
> 32MB without swap is definitely insufficient to build something with
> gcc 3.3.

Hm.

Could theoretically be worked around by using NFS, NBD, or some other
network storage protocol; but I see your point.

> Only some special evaluation boards like SolutionEngine SH-4 are
> usable for such a heavy development.  But they are uncommon and much
> expensive, as gotom wrote in another mail.
>
> Of course, I really respect the effort of Debian/m68k people; I wish I
> also had time and passion as you have. :->

Heh :)

Well, we have something that works, and only needs to be maintained (as
opposed to a vapourware port, which still needs to be built). That
helps, I guess.

--
Wouter Verhelst
"Stop breathing down my neck." "My breathing is merely a simulation."