Re: anyone still here?

Hi,

In the article <[🔎] 20040305114224.GA12399@grep.be>,
Wouter Verhelst <wouter@grep.be> wrote:

> [1  <text/plain; us-ascii (quoted-printable)>]
> On Fri, Mar 05, 2004 at 04:59:50PM +0900, YAEGASHI Takeshi wrote:
> > IMHO, there's no particular demand for having the *official* package
> > repository for any arch of sh.  And platforms currently available are
> > generally too slow and short of resources to keep up with sid.
>
> That's crap. m68k is a lot more slow than most SH machines, and I am
> (mostly) keeping up with sid on my m68k mac; also, there is no real
> problem building sid for m68k, because we have 10 autobuilders or so for
> m68k (a bit less now, due to some more or less political issues). This
> mail is written at the console of my m68k mac, BTW :-)
>
> It's most certainly possible; whether the demand is there, that's
> something else.

Indeed m68k is slower than sh, but m68k has many reliable platforms
like a workstation with ample resources and expandable I/O interfaces.
I've heard one of m68k buildd hosts have 128MB of memory and over 30GB
of disk.

On the other hand, most sh platforms we have are embedded or consumer
products, not workstations.  They have minimal amount of memory
(mostly 32MB or so) and none of secondary storage devices.  Moreover,
they are not expandable easily.

I think they are almost unusable for the self development of sid.
32MB without swap is definitely insufficient to build something with
gcc 3.3.

Only some special evaluation boards like SolutionEngine SH-4 are
usable for such a heavy development.  But they are uncommon and much
expensive, as gotom wrote in another mail.

Of course, I really respect the effort of Debian/m68k people; I wish I
also had time and passion as you have. :->

Regards,
--
YAEGASHI Takeshi <t@keshi.org> <takeshi@yaegashi.jp> http://www.keshi.org/