ssh-agent (5.9p1-2) exits on startup

Hello,
	I seem to have a strange problem with ssh-agent. since 5.9p1-2
(I don't remember about 5.9p1-1) it will not run. If run from the command line
it outputs:

SSH_AUTH_SOCK=/tmp/ssh-qTjMbNXK9352/agent.9352; export SSH_AUTH_SOCK;
SSH_AGENT_PID=9353; export SSH_AGENT_PID;
echo Agent pid 9353;

just like it should. However no agent process is left running, and the
socket /tmp/ssh-qTjMbNXK9352/agent.9352 does not exist.

If I add a "-d" it makes a socket and runs just fine.
If I start with strace which strips setgid, it runs.

I've seen mention of changing use-ssh-agent in xsession.options
but there is no X running, just black screen, white letters.
I see ssh-agent has been setgid for some time and this did not happen.
What has changed between last spring and September?