BSP + outreach / heterogeneity event in Paris, May 2017

Hi!

I'm part of a group of Tails and Debian people who are organizing
a Debian event in Paris, on May 13-14.

For Debian package maintainers, tl;dr: there will be a BSP.

We've got a few more goals for this event. One of them is to reach out
to, and properly welcome, people who can contribute to the quality
assurance effort, and to Debian in general, with their _pre-existing_
skills, in other ways than fixing bugs and uploading packages.
Another, related goal is to bring together a heterogeneous group of
people. Another goal is to gather the kind of feedback that our BTS is
not very good at.

The *draft* announcement is probably the best way to understand what
it is about:

  https://wiki.debian.org/BSP/2017/05/fr/Paris/Announcement

(Please don't spread this URL further yet, as the content is not
complete, includes info that still needs to be confirmed, and we want
to reach out to specific audiences in a non-random order, in order to
optimize for an heterogeneous set of attendees. Our current goal is to
start announcing the event widely around February 15-18. Please be
patient :)

The home page of the event, currently mostly used by the organization
team, might be a good way to understand how we're handling it:

  https://wiki.debian.org/BSP/2017/05/fr/Paris

So I'm hereby requesting some Debian money (on top of the sponsorship
for Debian members already granted by the DPL) to make this happen:
one doesn't get an heterogeneous set of attendees if only current
Debian people are supported.

We would love to have the means to bring 20 non-local new, great
people there:

 * accommodation: 20 persons * 2 nights, hostel: 1300€
 * travel: 20 persons * 100€ maximum: 2000€

Total: 3300€ max.

We will handle sponsorship requests based on this estimate initially.
But it would be awesome to have some flexibility, in case we get lots
of requests from excellent wanna-be attendees. So a provision to bump
the above numbers up to 30 people would be more than welcome.
This means a budget up to 5000€.

I hope that solidarity hosting can cut these costs down. Please let us
know if you can host people in Paris during that week-end, you'll save
Debian some money!

We're also looking for other sponsors, so if we're lucky Debian will
have to pay less than. Here again, pointers are welcome.

Sponsorship requests will be handled by a "bursaries" group delegated
by the event organization team. The (rough) selection criteria will be
a mix of: being part of an under-represented/dominated group; travel
cost (because sometimes it's better to bring 2 people rather than 1);
relevance to Debian (e.g. specific skills, or highly motivated); how
much sponsorship is needed for the person to attend. We're newbies at
this craft, so if experimented people want to point us to relevant
resources, I certainly wouldn't mind :)

We expect at least lunch (and hopefully dinner) to be sponsored by
private companies; this is left to be organized and confirmed. In any
case, we're not asking Debian to sponsor food.

Regarding the T.O. that will handle this: I plan to ask Debian France,
but haven't got there yet.

Thoughts?
--
intrigeri