Re: Building for Sparc32

Thanks for the clarification. On a slightly different topic, one of the things I'd like to get working that seems lacking in Etch is SMP. As best I can tell, SMP was broken for sparc in the Etch era, and an SMP kernel package was not available. It seems to have been fixed later, but never made it to an Etch repository. My efforts to build an SMP kernel with 2.6.39 haven't worked because they don't fit in the ~2.6 meg size limit related to the initial memory map. Should it be possible to overcome this?

The other thing, possibly kernel-related, not working for me in Etch is sound (no /dev/sound created), but I haven't looked at this hard yet.

Thanks,
Eddie

Sam Ravnborg wrote:
Hi Eddie.

I realize this is probably a bad idea for many reasons, and likely a dead
end at some point, as low level support has been dropped at some point
in the kernel and it appears to have problems in gcc.

sparc32 is still in active maintenance mode in the kernel.
We manage to fix a few things now and then and sun4m should be in a
reasonable state.
There is even being worked on a proposal to fix the compare-and-swap thing
that Adrian mentions in another thread. But nothing has hit kernel/glibc yet
with this.

	Sam