Re: [FIX]: ultra45 boot failing...

On Sat, Feb 07, 2009 at 02:51:05AM -0800, David Miller wrote:
> From: Jurij Smakov <jurij@wooyd.org>
> Date: Sat, 7 Feb 2009 10:45:31 +0000
>
> > Thanks for pointing it out, David.
>
> Please contact me in the future if you guys want to add non-trivial
> sparc specific changes.  That's how you can keep stuff like this
> from getting broken.
>
> You can't even install on these boxes because of this bug.
>
> It sounds very Ubuntu-esque that you can't get a fix like this
> into the tree due to "timing issues."  This is Debian for crying
> out loud :-)

Unfortunately, we are literally few days away from the release, and
reverting this patch would break X for everyone on sparc, so it is
probably better to keep it that way for now. Release team has agreed,
that a better solution would be to get the fix (which might take a
while to develop) into the first point release. We would really
appreciate your insight into the way to properly address this issue.

To give a little bit of background, this patch was supposed to fix
http://bugs.debian.org/500358. Bug trail contains all the gory
details, but the crux of the problem (as I understand it) is the
following: the commit [0] into the upstream git broke X on
Debian/sparc [1]. The version of the X.org by that time was already
frozen on all architectures in anticipation of the upcoming release,
so rolling in a new version, compatible with the kernel change, was
not really an option. The patch in question simply reverts this
commit, restoring the kernel interface (for the lack of a better word)
to the state, understood by X.org which we have available in Lenny.

As I said, we would really appreciate any suggestions on how to keep
the Lenny version of X working on sparc, yet allow the boxes with
PCI-Express to boot. I'm also adding some people who have helped to
come up with the current solution and the newly opened bug to CC.

Thanks.

[0] http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commitdiff;h=c26d3c0138970778fabe114df99dffb34a04b1d7
[1] http://marc.info/?t=121247857800001&r=1&w=2
--