Re: Lenny on E4500

Sorry Frans, your response got lost by an over-aggressive spam filter.

> Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:
>> I've just tried booting a Lenny CD on an E4500 and after the
>> language/keyboard dialogue I get "No common CD-ROM drive was
>> detected".
>>
>> I can see the modules sr_mod, cdrom, sun_esp, esp_scsi,
>> scsi_transport_spi, scsi_mod and sunhme are loaded, cat
>> /proc/scsi/scsi reports a Toshiba CD-ROM drive.

> I suspect this may be the same problem we've seen on a lot of SunBlade
> systems which is documented in the installation guide [1]. If CD does
> not work, try netboot. As far as we know it is an upstream kernel
> problem that nobody is fixing.

I'll see if I can organise a netboot but I've not really done that since I was hacking SS1000s- is there up to date documentation anywhere?

>> That particular CD has just been used to bring up an Ultra-1, and I
>> can boot Slackware on the E4500 without problem.

> If slackware uses a similar kernel and does work, you could try to
> find out why by comparing boot logs, kernel configs, modules loaded,
> module settings, etc, etc, ...
>
> If you can find out what the magic is to make it work, you may well
> make a lot of people very happy.

I've not got a great deal of time but I'm trying to keep this and another open-source project at the top of my stack for a few days.

Can anybody say whether the kernel and initrd loaded as part of the CD boot was ever fixed to cope with this, or is this the unfixed upstream problem referred to above?

If anybody thinks they can give me a prod in the right direction please note alternative address below.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk