Re: Sunblade 100 IDPROM not valid

Ludovic Courtès wrote:

> IIRC, the machine should only forget the settings when it's unplugged.
> So the machine may still be quite usable provided you don't unplug it
> too often.

Or an extended power outage with UPS shutdown :-/

Interestingly, I've seen one failure which was on an Ultra-1. I've not seen a
SPARCstation or SPARCserver fail, although I've had to rescue password-protected
chips using a device programmer. I've not got time to check but it would be
interesting to know whether more recent devices (8K rather than 2K?) take more
current.

Another interesting point is that these devices have a bit which stops the clock
hence reducing consumption for long-term storage. I don't think there's an
OpenPROM command for this although it might be possible to hack the required
bit-twiddling.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk