Re: md (software) RAID missing in the installer for sparc

On Wed, Apr 04, 2007 at 04:57:11PM +0200, Frans Pop wrote:
> > If software RAID wasn't supposed to be used on the SILO boot device at
> > all, then this code wouldn't be here.
>
> Please file a BR against silo-installer with a summary of this thread.

But there is no problem with silo-installer, it's partman that needs to take
care of this. I checked the partman-md bug list, and found #411756, where
I've now concurred.

silo-installer could have the different, proper sanity check added, but that
would be extra, because it would cover the corner case where someone goes
behind partman's back, and then returns to d-i just to get silo installed.
That's unlikely, since people who know they way around parted/fdisk probably
also know how to run silo manually.

In fact, even for the less advanced users I think this is a rather small
corner case, because you don't have /dev/md* in the shell until you activate
the md subsystem, and the most straightforward way to do that is to simply
enter partman and through it enter mdcfg :) The main part of mdcfg.sh
runs all the right modprobes and mdadm autoscans.

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.