Re: Debian on a SF V880

On Fri, 7 Apr 2006, Sandro Roth wrote:

I know this sounds a little bit crazy, but has anybody tried to install Debian on a SunFire V880 / V890 ?

I tried it and failed with booting the install CD.
I used the latest Sarge and Etch Netinstall images from debian.org
The CDs are fine, i was able to boot them on a U10
OBP Version is 4.18.2
I enter "boot cdrom" and all I get is
"SILO x.x Program Terminated"

The only thing I can suggest (besides trying to netboot) is an unofficial CD with a recent SILO version. It might help, and I'd appreciate your feedback if you are willing to try it. For details see

http://lists.debian.org/debian-sparc/2006/04/msg00001.html

Best regards,

Jurij Smakov                                        jurij@wooyd.org