Booting "Etch" on older hardware

For information I've just tried booting the Etch kernel on an 9-CPU SPARCserver
1000E (sun4d) and got

Booting Linux...
No cpu nodes, cannot continue
Program terminated
<#0> ok

I stress that I'm not complaining since my understanding is that other hardware
common on machines of this age hasn't worked with anything later than kernel 2.2
(i.e. Woody).

This probably affects SPARCcenter 2000 and CS6400- if anybody has ever got Linux
to work on either of those which I've never seen reported.

Time is very limited here and I don't have much relevant experience but if
there's anything I can do to help I'll do my best.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk