Re: password issue on sparcstation 10

Karl Goetz wrote:

> > Karl> Unfortunately, the 10 also has a password protected prom. i found a
> > Karl> link [1]
> >  http://alcopop.org/unix/sparc/
> > to reset it, but it mentions "Immediately execute the
> > Karl> commands which clear the password.", and doesn't say what the magic
> > Karl> commands are.
> >
> > That should be "setenv security-mode none".
> >
> Thankyou, I'll try it out tonight.

Let us know if it works. One thing I'd add it that that isn't a PROM, it's a
battery-backed "Timekeeper RAM" device (battery is good for around 10 years
operation, there's also a low-power shutdown mode).

I've got around this problem by copying a known-initialised RAM image using a
suitable device programmer, I don't know what would happen if one simply filled
it with 0xff.

In all cases bear in mind that you are working with static-sensitive devices. In
particular hot-plugging this sort of thing is not recommended procedure, it's
very easy to damage something.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk