Automounting user (NIS) accounts from Solaris to debian

Note: I've asked this question in debian-users but had not have any luck. Maybe this is too Sun-specific for them:

I have here a Sun Ultra 1 running debian linux 3.0 stable

neko@papaya:~$ uname -a
Linux papaya 2.4.18 #2 Thu Apr 11 14:37:17 EDT 2002 sparc64 unknown
neko@papaya:~$

which is currently a nis client of a Solaris 8 box. I would also like to be able to use, say, autofs to mount user partitions in the debian box. How to do that? I did not go very far besides installing the package (as in apt-get install autofs) and I created a /etc/auto.home and modified /etc/auto.master as follows (stolen off a solaris client which has automount running in the very same net):

papaya:/home/neko# more /etc/auto.master /etc/auto.home
::::::::::::::
/etc/auto.master
::::::::::::::
# $Id: auto.master,v 1.2 1997/10/06 21:52:03 hpa Exp $
# Sample auto.master file
# Format of this file:
# mountpoint map options
# For details of the format look at autofs(5).
/var/autofs/misc        /etc/auto.misc
/var/autofs/net         /etc/auto.net
#
/home/users      auto.home
::::::::::::::
/etc/auto.home
::::::::::::::
+auto.home
papaya:/home/neko#

Then I started autofs:

papaya:/home/neko# /etc/init.d/autofs reload
Reloading automounter: checking for changes ... done.
Starting automounter:  /var/autofs/misc /var/autofs/net /home/usersdone.
papaya:/home/neko#

But, I seem to be missing something here. At least I do know the auto.home map is being sent out (I did check by saying "ypcat -k auto.home" in the U1).

Looking at the the man page (found at http://www.squarebox.co.uk/cgi-squarebox/manServer/usr/share/man/man5/auto.master.5. Do note that this man page is newer (19 Jun 2000) than the one (dated of 14 Jan 2000) found in my installation. In fact I would even say the example I am talking about is *not* in my man page. Would that mean I need to get away from stable?), my /etc/auto.master should look something like this:

/home/users     yp:auto.home

So, right now, this is what it thinks it has:

papaya:/etc# /etc/init.d/autofs status
Configured Mount Points:
------------------------
/usr/sbin/automount  /var/autofs/misc file /etc/auto.misc
/usr/sbin/automount  /var/autofs/net program /etc/auto.net
/usr/sbin/automount  /home/users yp yp:auto.home

Active Mount Points:
--------------------
papaya:/etc#

/home/users is there in all of its glory:

papaya:/etc# ls -l /home
total 8
drwxr-xr-x    2 neko     neko         4096 May 20 16:33 neko
drwxr-xr-x    2 root     root         4096 May 26 10:36 users
papaya:/etc#

but I am still told that

Could not chdir to home directory /home/users/mauricio: No such file or directory

So, I decided to check a few more things: there is this redhat linux box which is also set to run autofs. In its /etc/auto.master, we have

/home/users      yp:auto.home

When I check how it looks like,

[neko@grape ~]$ /etc/init.d/autofs status
Configured Mount Points:
------------------------
/usr/sbin/automount --timeout 10 /misc file /etc/auto.misc
/usr/sbin/automount /home/users yp auto.home

Active Mount Points:
--------------------
/usr/sbin/automount --timeout 10 /misc file /etc/auto.misc
/usr/sbin/automount /home/users yp auto.home
[neko@grape ~]$

Look at the entry for auto.home: it states "yp auto.home" as opposite to "yp yp:auto.home." I believe there is where my problem lies. I would think my debian box is looking for a map called yp:auto.home as opposite to the correct auto.home. So, I am now trying to convince it to see the right map. If I take the yp alltogether, it will look for a file. If I simply do

/home/users    +auto.home

I get

# /etc/init.d/autofs status
Configured Mount Points:
------------------------
/usr/sbin/automount --timeout 10 /misc file /etc/auto.misc
/usr/sbin/automount /home/users yp +auto.home
[...]

(note the + in front of auto.home)
So, it then recognizes that it should look for *a* map in NIS, but I now wonder if it is looking for one called "+auto.home"

I was suggested to try something on the lines of

/home/users    auto.home -rw,intr,nosuid,nobrowse,proto=tcp

as my maps are exported with the period in them:

papaya:/etc# ypcat -k auto_home
No such map auto_home. Reason: No such map in server's domain
papaya:/etc# ypcat -k auto.home
foo bar:/the/home/bar
[...]
papaya:/etc#

right? Unfortunately it still thinks it should look for a file (instead of nis):

papaya:/etc# /etc/init.d/autofs status
Configured Mount Points:
/usr/sbin/automount  /var/autofs/misc file /etc/auto.misc
/usr/sbin/automount  /var/autofs/net program /etc/auto.net
/usr/sbin/automount /usr/users file auto.home nobrowse,nosuid,rw,intr,proto=tcp

Active Mount Points:
papaya:/etc#

What I am doing wrong here?