tasksel and me

I seemed to have installed debian in my IPX... at least so ffar as the base system. It seems the trick was to make / smaller than 1GB. Anyway, now I am in that step where it wants to install the other packages. And, I am having a bit of an issue there. You see, when I was asked to run tasksel, I said "yes." So, I selected "conventional unix server" just for the heck of it. Then, it gives the following message:

Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
  aalib1 abiword abiword-common abiword-gtk analog apache apache-common apel
[...]
0 packages upgraded, 530 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0  not upgraded.
Need to get 373MB of archives. After unpacking 1060MB will be used.
E: Sorry, you don't have enough free space in /var/cache/apt/archives/ to hold
all the .debs.
Some errors occurred while unpacking. I'm going to configure the
packages that were installed. This may result in duplicate errors
or errors caused by missing dependencies. This is OK, only the errors
above this message are important. Please fix them and run [I]nstall again
Press enter to continue.

What is going on here? Is it trying to install some 1GB worth of files... and in /var/cache/apt/archives/ of all places? Why? I have a nicely sized /usr but my /var is 128MB.