Update (Was: Re: Still confused (Was: Re: SILO Fun))

Just for the heck of it, I physically copied the silo.conf file to /etc instead of just symlinking it:

# mv silo.conf silo.conf.link
# cp ../boot/silo.conf .
# ls -l silo.*
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root         2350 Dec  4 17:38 silo.conf
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           17 Dec  1 19:40 silo.conf.link ->
../boot/silo.conf
#

So, I told it then to reboot:

Boot device: /sbus/esp@0,800000/sd@3,0   File and args:
SILO boot:
Buggy old PROMs don't allow reading past 1GB from start of the disk. Send complains to SMCC

Read error on block 1 (tried 1024, got -1)

Unknown ext2 error
Buggy old PROMs don't allow reading past 1GB from start of the disk. Send complains to SMCC

Read error on block 16 (tried 2048, got -1)
Buggy old PROMs don't allow reading past 1GB from start of the disk. Send complains to SMCC

Read error on block 0 (tried 512, got -1)
Buggy old PROMs don't allow reading past 1GB from start of the disk. Send complains to SMCC

Read error on block 8 (tried 2048, got -1)

Fatal error: Unable to open filesystem

Image not found.... try again
boot:

I guess that means I will have to repartition my HD so whatever it needs is in
the first 1GB of the HD.  What would it need then?