Re: Kernel built with kernel-package has numerous Unresolved symbols
- To: Daniel Bidwell <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Cc: email@example.com
- Subject: Re: Kernel built with kernel-package has numerous Unresolved symbols
- From: "Robert C. Mosher II" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Date: 30 May 2003 18:19:18 -0400
- Message-id: <1054333158.11424.60.camel@mosher>
- In-reply-to: <1054329138.1162.0.camel@samwise>
- References: <1054324319.11435.52.camel@mosher> <1054329138.1162.0.camel@samwise>
On Fri, 2003-05-30 at 17:12, Daniel Bidwell wrote:
> On Fri, 2003-05-30 at 15:51, Robert C. Mosher II wrote:
> > I just compiled a new kernel using kernel-package, following these
> > steps:
> > mv /lib/modules/2.4.18 /lib/modules/2.4.18.old
> > cd /usr/src/kernel-source-2.4.18
> > make menuconfig
> > (Here I set Ext3 support and SMB file system support to be built in)
> > make-kpkg clean
> > make-kpkg --revision=paravel.1.0 kernel_image
> > dpkg -i ../kernel-image-2.4.18-sun4u_paravel.1.0_sparc.deb
> > shutdown -r now
> Did the package install actually install the /lib/modules/2.4.18
> directory and files?
It did install the directory and files. However smbmount says the kernel
does not have smbfs filesystem support, even though I selected it to be
built in to the kernel. Perhaps these two problems are related.
> > Upon boot up I got a screen full of "depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in
> > /lib/modules/2.4.18/..." messages (see below). Is there something I'm
> > forgetting to do in making this kernel image? Should I remove these
> > modules from the kernel configuration? I have built successful kernels
> > on i386 before, but am a bit lost as to kernel options for Sparc's.
> > Thanks,
> > Rob Mosher
> Daniel R. Bidwell | email@example.com
> Andrews University | Information Technology Services
> If two always agree, one of them is unnecessary
> "Friends don't let friends do DOS"
> "In theory, theory and practice are the same.
> In practice, however, they are not."