Newbie questions...

Hey, all. I'm trying to broaden my horizons, so I've taken one of my infra-
structure machines that was running NetBSD and I've installed Woody on it.

One thing I notice right off the bat is that things are a good bit more
sluggish in terms of user interaction. I don't yet know why this is, but
I notice things like my cursor in X freezing under what should be fairly
moderate load. But, since the box mostly serves NFS and only rarely gets
used as an X console, I can live with that.

Another thing I note is that I don't see my sound hardware showing up. This
isn't a huge issue for the reasons stated above, but I'm curious about it.
Is there no support for SUN4M sound hardware? Or, must I install something
that didn't get added by default?

The only thing that strikes me as potentially worrisome is this: Why do I
get a bunch of "Unimplemented SPARC system call" errors at startup, and
what does this indicate?

An excerpt from my dmesg:

init[1]: Unimplemented SPARC system call 69
Adding Swap: 196600k swap-space (priority -1)
eth0: Carrier Lost, trying TPE
portmap[109]: Unimplemented SPARC system call 87
cp[135]: Unimplemented SPARC system call 69
mv[159]: Unimplemented SPARC system call 69
inetd[225]: Unimplemented SPARC system call 53
lpd[229]: Unimplemented SPARC system call 69
sunmouse: Successfully adjusted to 1200 baud.
Installing knfsd (copyright (C) 1996 okir@monad.swb.de)

My box is a plain-vanilla SPARCstation 5 with a cgsix in it. Here's some of
what /proc/cpuinfo says about my processor:

cpu             : Fujitsu  MB86904
fpu             : Lsi Logic/Meiko L64804 or compatible
promlib         : Version 3 Revision 2
prom            : 2.15
type            : sun4m

Everything seems to be working as expected, but I am curious nonetheless.

Thanks in advance for clues. Apologies in advance if I'm slow in replying,
as I'll be away from my keyboard for a week or so starting tomorrow
afternoon. I will read everything that crosses the list on getting back.

--
Mason Loring Bliss   mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us   Ewige Blumenkraft!
https://www.deadsexy.org/  awake ? sleep : random() & 2 ? dream : sleep;