newbie needs help w/X

i've just wiped SuSE 7.3 from my ss20 and installed
potato...(my first time w/ debian)..can't get x working with Xsun24
server,
looking through the lists archives, it seems others have
run into this problem, but i can't find a solution.....
one gentleman who had this problem gave up and installed
woody, i'm on a dial-up and would rather not have to download
a lot of upgrade stuff, so i'm hoping someone can help.

the error message i get when i try to run "startx" is:

PEXExtensionInit: Couldn't open default PEX font file   Roman_M
sunMouseProc ioctl VUIDGFORMAT: Invalid argument

Fatal server error:
failed to initialize Core devices

X connection to:0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown)

i agree with previous posts on the subject, that the PEX stuff isn't
fatal,
is the mouse thing? i have a optical mouse plugged into a type 5
keyboard....
i have made sure that gpm is not installed and the daemon is not
running.

TIA,
 don