Re: Fresh New potato boot disks from the 2.2.6 boot floppies

On Fri, 4 Feb 2000, Ben Collins wrote:

> Here's a new set of boot disks that fixes quite a few problems with the
> older set. Anyone who had problems before, check these to see if they fix
> them. If you didn't have problems before, then check to make sure I didn't
> break anything :)

Hmm.  Not too successful here on an IPX; the tftpboot.img gets as far as
"Booting Linux..." and stops cold (I have to power-cycle the box, since it
no
longer responds to keystrokes).  I also dd'd the sun4c rescue.bin to a
floppy, but the IPX doesn't want to have any, and complains:

Can't read disk label.
Can't open Sun disk label package
Can't open boot device

Remade the floppy with a block size of 512 bytes, and this time it got as
far as the "Welcome" screen and "Press <ENTER> to boot!", but then failed
with

Read error on block 73
Unknown /linux image format

Same result with the 4cdm image.

Tried the tftp image with a Sparc Station 2; it stops just as the IPX
had done, at the "Booting Linux..." message.  Also tried copying the 4c
rescue.bin to / and booting it directly, but it fails with the message
"Unknown /rescue.bin image format".  (I don't know whether this is even
intended to work, but gave it a try anyway.)  Same with the 4cdm
rescue.bin image.

Sorry!

John Chapman        hannes@eskimo.com       hannes@pop.nwnexus.com