Re: Compiling perl 5.004_04 for sparc/slink

On Tue, Jan 26, 1999 at 11:21:25PM +0000, Jules Bean wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I'm trying to compile a copy of 5.004_04 for sparc/slink.  The catalyst
> for this is that I discovered that our current 5.004 doesn't have
> GDBM_file support compiled in.
>
> I succeeded eventually in compiling it (the hitch was an already open bug,
> that 5.004 doesn't compile with libc2.1-pre versions), but I've hit
> another snag:
>
> I also need the DB_File extension to work. Unfortunately, Perl won't build
> the DB_File extension against Berkeley DB version 2, only Berkeley DB
> version 1 - and AFAICS, we don't have a libc6 dev-package of Berkeley DB
> version 1.
>
> This is a slight mystery, since I don't see how the version currently *in*
> slink got compiled, since that does have db support..
>
> Any thoughts?

Yes. I compiled the current perl package. You've got to patch the configure
script to look for db_185.h instead of db.h. I thought I filed a bug report
and it was closed because it's fixed in the newer upstream release (potato).
I can't check my mails right now.

Greetings,

				Christian

--