Re: Removal of ARM64 from jessie updates?

Our use case is that we provide an in house fixed base mirror
lets say 8.10. Before we do a release, we mirror the latest snapshot at that day
and add it to the source.list so we have the latest security update.
Of course we rebuild and test everything then and release it.

Because we are not currently using arm64 in production I think I will just remove it.
In the future dough I think it would be great to have.

Regarding Roche, I can ask some manager but don't know what could be
possible ...
Listing as debian users might also be complicated because of some
company policy.

Cheers Benj

On Fri, 14 Sep 2018 at 08:51, Peter Palfrader <weasel@debian.org> wrote:
On Thu, 13 Sep 2018, Paul Wise wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 12, 2018 at 9:24 PM, Fassbind, Benjamin wrote:
>
> > Any reasons why this was removed?
>
> On that day Debian jessie went from being the oldstable release to an
> LTS release, which comes with a consequent reduction in the quantity
> of supported packages and architectures and an end to point releases.
> For Debian stretch, arm64 has been proposed as a supported LTS
> architecture and when the time comes the architecture list will be
> reviewed. I would suggest upgrading to Debian stretch and
> participating in the LTS architecture discussion when the time comes.
> Alternatively, you could rebuild the Debian jessie LTS updates for
> arm64 for your own use or contact the LTS team to setup an unofficial
> repository for such arm64 rebuilds.

I don't think it has been explicitly said, and I feel it's relevant:

Snapshot only "mirrors" what is on the origin site.  Snapshot doesn't[0]
remove files or architectures.  So if something is available in one
snapshot and then no longer in a later one, that means it was removed
from the source.

Cheers,

0. there are exceptions for when we realize licenses didn't allow us to
   redistribute, but those are rare.
--
                            |  .''`.       ** Debian **
      Peter Palfrader       | : :' :      The  universal
 https://www.palfrader.org/ | `. `'      Operating System

--
Benjamin Fassbind
Software Engineer