Re: Removal of ARM64 from jessie updates?

On Thu, 13 Sep 2018, Paul Wise wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 12, 2018 at 9:24 PM, Fassbind, Benjamin wrote:
>
> > Any reasons why this was removed?
>
> On that day Debian jessie went from being the oldstable release to an
> LTS release, which comes with a consequent reduction in the quantity
> of supported packages and architectures and an end to point releases.
> For Debian stretch, arm64 has been proposed as a supported LTS
> architecture and when the time comes the architecture list will be
> reviewed. I would suggest upgrading to Debian stretch and
> participating in the LTS architecture discussion when the time comes.
> Alternatively, you could rebuild the Debian jessie LTS updates for
> arm64 for your own use or contact the LTS team to setup an unofficial
> repository for such arm64 rebuilds.

I don't think it has been explicitly said, and I feel it's relevant:

Snapshot only "mirrors" what is on the origin site.  Snapshot doesn't[0]
remove files or architectures.  So if something is available in one
snapshot and then no longer in a later one, that means it was removed
from the source.

Cheers,

0. there are exceptions for when we realize licenses didn't allow us to
   redistribute, but those are rare.
--
                            |  .''`.       ** Debian **
      Peter Palfrader       | : :' :      The  universal
 https://www.palfrader.org/ | `. `'      Operating System