Re: TEI -biting the bullet

On Fri, 5 Mar 2004 12:57:42 -0500  from a terminal far far away <Mark/>
wrote:
>On Sat, Mar 06, 2004 at 01:39:33AM +1030, Peter Gossner wrote:

>> >Once all the path stuff is straightened out (is it already?),
>
>The path stuff (install location) has not been straightened out
>yet, but will be when I package TEI. Likely in the next two weeks.

hey fantastic :)

>At any rate, it'll quite likely be something like
>/usr/share/xml/tei/p4/schema/dtd/tei2.dtd
OK cool.
I understand the rationale for the xml tree... (from earlier
discussions)

>However, I haven't yet uploaded any TEI packages as I'm still waiting
>for them to settle some outstanding licensing issues...

Oh oh ?

>> >any
>> >reason not to use a path, something like
>> >"/user/local/share/xml/TEI/P4/tei2.dtd"?
>> >
>> Ah yes...
>> 1/ I am not sure of the debian install path (if any) .
>> 2/ The URI should be more portable.
>
>I believe there is a canonical web-based SYSTEM identifier for the
>tei2.dtd DTD. Something like
>  http://www.tei-c.org/P4X/DTD/tei2.dtd,
>I believe. This is the recommended portable SYSID. (Unless Syd says
>otherwise.)
There seem to be a few different options ..
The one above seems rational to me as it clearly places it in a
namespace and scopes the version as well.

>The XML package catalog for TEI P4, (and any xml package that has a
>catalog) is $package.xml. For TEI P4, the package name is likely to be
>'tei-p4', and so the XML package catalog would be named
>/etc/xml/tei-p4.xml,
>with the SGML package catalog named
>/etc/sgml/tei-p4.cat.
>
>These are consistent with the current policies (working drafts) for XML
>& SGML. [1], [2]
Ok , I would note that I came up with very similar names from
researching the same material. (FWIW)

>(Note that new policy drafts will shortly [~1 week] be announced on
>this list, where we can all discuss & debate their contents.)
Great. Seems like a lot of threads are drawing together.

>style> >> catalog chains.. A snack with SGML but not the other way
>around.> >
>> >I am not aware of any way to do this, either. Perhaps nXML mode?
>
>Yes, I would very much like to know this, too.

Well I guess I can be reassured that's it's not just me :)

>Fortunately, virtually all of the XML DTDs are also registered in the
>SGML catalog system (on Debian, anyway), which emacs can snarf quite
>easily 'out of the box'.
Yep sure can. Should be near transparent to the end user, which has got
to be a "good thing" (TM).

>Cheers,
>Mark
>
>[1] http://debian-xml-sgml.alioth.debian.org/xml-policy
>[2] http://debian-xml-sgml.alioth.debian.org/sgml-policy

Will have a look at these (again ?) thanks.
I see no real problem installing under the XML tree as apposed to the
SGML tree. Though for curiosities sake alone would like to know why.

It's a good choice if for no other reason than Docbook XML is there
already and  so is consistent.  I guess that for new TEI implementations
/ instances XML will be the default usage in any case from about now
on. :)

>--
>Mark Johnson        <mark@dulug.duke.edu>
>Debian XML/SGML     <mrj@debian.org>
>Home Page:          <http://dulug.duke.edu/~mark/>
>GPG fp: DBEA FA3C C46A 70B5 F120  568B 89D5 4F61 C07D E242

--Pete