Re: TEI -biting the bullet

On Sat, Mar 06, 2004 at 01:39:33AM +1030, Peter Gossner wrote:
> On Thu, 4 Mar 2004 20:56:08 -0500  from a terminal far far away <Syd/>
> wrote:
> >
> >> Notes: I have used a URI for the system id ...
> >
> >Once all the path stuff is straightened out (is it already?),

The path stuff (install location) has not been straightened out
yet, but will be when I package TEI. Likely in the next two weeks.

At any rate, it'll quite likely be something like
/usr/share/xml/tei/p4/schema/dtd/tei2.dtd

However, I haven't yet uploaded any TEI packages as I'm still waiting
for them to settle some outstanding licensing issues...

> >any
> >reason not to use a path, something like
> >"/user/local/share/xml/TEI/P4/tei2.dtd"?
> >
> Ah yes...
> 1/ I am not sure of the debian install path (if any) .
> 2/ The URI should be more portable.

I believe there is a canonical web-based SYSTEM identifier for the
tei2.dtd DTD. Something like
  http://www.tei-c.org/P4X/DTD/tei2.dtd,
I believe. This is the recommended portable SYSID. (Unless Syd says
otherwise.)

> >> I am also curious as to what to name the application catalog (s)
> >> i.e.
> >> /etc/sgml/tei2P4.cat
> >> and / or
> >> /etc/xml/tei2P4.xml

The XML package catalog for TEI P4, (and any xml package that has a catalog)
is $package.xml. For TEI P4, the package name is likely to be 'tei-p4',
and so the XML package catalog would be named
/etc/xml/tei-p4.xml,
with the SGML package catalog named
/etc/sgml/tei-p4.cat.

These are consistent with the current policies (working drafts) for XML &
SGML. [1], [2]

(Note that new policy drafts will shortly [~1 week] be announced on this list,
where we can all discuss & debate their contents.)

> >> ... I can find no ... way ... of getting emacs to process XML style
> >> catalog chains.. A snack with SGML but not the other way around.
> >
> >I am not aware of any way to do this, either. Perhaps nXML mode?

Yes, I would very much like to know this, too.

Fortunately, virtually all of the XML DTDs are also registered in the SGML
catalog system (on Debian, anyway), which emacs can snarf quite easily
'out of the box'.

Cheers,
Mark

[1] http://debian-xml-sgml.alioth.debian.org/xml-policy