Re: Q: Fixing XML Catalog support

On Mon, 1 Mar 2004, Ardo van Rangelrooij wrote:
> ghaverla@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca (ghaverla@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca) wrote:
> > On the subject of existing documentation, is there something out
> > there which either tells you how to fix XML Catalog support, or
> > how to debug it?  At one time, XML Catalog support worked here
> > (sort of, maybe, :-), but doesn't seem to be now.  I would guess
> > that a person might just delete /etc/xml and then run a bunch of
> > .postinst files.  Does a specific order need to be used?
>
> Could you elaborate on "... but doesn't seem to be now."?  Which
> packages are we talking about here?

The only thing I've doing lately, is DocBook-Website related
stuff.  There are about 20-30 XML source files, some which have
MathML in them as well.  But, I have to be online in order to run
the Makefile, to process the XML into (X)HTML.

But, I am not talking about filing a bug report.  There will be
occasions where someone finds there XML catalog support is broken.
I would guess in most cases the only source of XML catalogs is
various Debian packages.  Some people may have additional XML
catalogs from other sources.  In the case of people who only have
XML catalogs from Debian sources, how does one repair or rebuild
the catalogs so that things work again?  Is there some particular
order one needs to run the *postinst scripts in?  Or do you just
grep for xmlcatalog in *postinst and then run all of the files
which have that command in them?

Maybe the broken-ness is the program which uses the catalogs.
But, just knowing the catalogs are correct/working at least lets
one eliminate that as a possible source for the broken-ness.

Gord
--
Matter Realisations     http://www.materialisations.com/
Gordon Haverland, B.Sc. M.Eng. President