Re: Location of entities

On Sun, Feb 15, 2004 at 11:58:21AM -0500, Adam Di Carlo wrote:
> Mark Johnson <mrj@debian.org> writes:
>
> > This is (probably) a bug in sgml-data, as that package should create
> > symlinks instead of empty directories.
>
> Actually, the root cause is a bug in dpkg.

Yes, I've encountered this first hand, and it's not as fun as it
amy seem:)

> There's no way, without
> maintainer script work, to convert directories to symlinks during
> package upgrade.

Yep, which is a major PITA.

> Should there be a note in the XML policy to this effect?

I defintely think so. It's becoming clear to me that the XML/SGML docs
truly needs to contain content regarding problems such as the symlink
issue. Although adding such content would depart from conventional debian
policy content, I beieve that it's worth adding a section that clearly
notes the problem areas and how to deal with them.

We can later split the true policy from the implementation content into
separate documents.

In the short term my concerns are providing clear guidelines for debian
XML developers/packagers, so that Debian can provide a means to provide
robust support for XML and related resources.

Anyay, I'd like to commiserate on the compatibility-symlink issue. I've
managed to gather more than a few bugs trying to provide these symlinks.

> This bug is going to happen to *everyone* who moves from
> /usr/share/sgml to /usr/share/xml if they provide a compatability
> symlink.

Don't I know...;)

> Aside: It kinda sucks that dh_link doesn't handle this case.  Blah.

More than kinda sucks. Renders dh_link useless for us debian XML dorks.

It'll all get fixed eventually, and in an intelligent faashion - which
is why I'm so dedicated to Debian.

My $0.02,
Mark

--