Re: question about placements in /usr/share/xml

On Fri, Feb 06, 2004 at 08:06:58AM -0500, Adam Di Carlo wrote:
> Karl Eichwalder <ke@suse.de> writes:
>
> > In the past they said XML files only should go into the
> > /usr/share/xml hierarchy.[...]Problem: DTDs are not XML files
> > neither...
>
> First time I've ever heard this (rather wacky) assertion.  I've always
> been told /usr/share/xml is just an XML version of /usr/share/sgml.
> Not to contain SGML or XML documents, necessarily, but concrete
> references (declaration), DTDs, etc.

I have to agree with Adam here. If we restrict the content of
/usr/share/xml to XML _documents_ only, the filesystem layout would
get downright wacky. Though the idea you propose has some theoretical
appeal, it's just not practical from an implementation standpoint.

Thanks for your input, though:) It's always good to get fresh
perspectives.

My $0.02,
Mark