Re: what to do about 'xmlcatalog' incompatability

On Wed, Feb 04, 2004 at 09:19:11PM +0100, Steinar Bang wrote:

> > Agreed. I also discovered a bug in 'xmlcatalog', where it requires a
> > *system element where the proper implementation of the xml catalog
> > spec.  would indicate the use of a *uri element. In fact, I had to
> > add 'incorrect' entries to the xml-catalog for docbook-xsl just so
> > some gtk stuff (which uses 'xmlcatalog') would build properly.
>
> Have you reported this bug to to the upstream maintainers?

Yep. In the gnome bugzilla.

> If we're taking about the xmlcatalog delivered with libxml2, it isn't
> a script, it's a C program,

Oops, I should've at least looked at the file and figured that out myself.
I did see at the bottom the man page that it was written by John Fleck -
or maybe that was just the man page itself. Having read that, for some
reason I assumed it was a script. Weird, dunno why I made that assumption.

At any rate, I filed a very verbose bug report a few days ago.

> FWIW, I would have preferred to be able to use xmlcatalog on debian,
> as I do on RH.

Yeah, makes sense. Heck, xmlcatalog is almost a defacto 'standard'. We
just have to figure out how to integrate it with the Debian tools,
so user catalog edits via xmlcatalog don't get wiped out by
update-xmlcatalog.

At least those are my $0.02.

I think Ardo & Adam will eventually arrive at means to remove the
incompatibility. But they're both super-busy, so it probably won't
be tomorrow:)

Cheers,
Mark
--