Re: question about placements in /usr/share/xml

On Sun, Feb 01, 2004 at 02:43:29AM -0500, Adam Di Carlo wrote:
> Mark Johnson <mark@dulug.duke.edu> writes:
>
> > Quoting Adam Di Carlo <adam@onshored.com>:
> >> The implication is that stuff in /usr/share/xml/schema or
> >> /usr/share/entities are not registered, then -- they don't have
> >> their a catalog.  No?
>
> > Really? Is that implied? It isn't meant to be that way.
> >
> > LIke I said earlier, stuff can go in /usr/share/xml/schema or
> > /usr/share/entities, but if the stuff has a catalog(s), then it must get it's
> > own subdirectory. [catalog name clashing, again]
>
> Um -- if it has a catalog, it is registered.  If it doesn't have a
> catalog, it's not registered.  Doesn't that imply stuff living
> directly under /usr/share/xml/{schema,entities} has not catalog,
> therefore is not registered?

If it doesn't have its own installation subdirectory, then it can't
have a catalog and therefore can't be registered.

> > FWIW, you might wanna check out the /usr/share/[sgml|xml] sections
> > of the new 2.3 version of FHS. There are some specific directories
> > that must be in /usr/share/xml & /usr/share/sgml. Seems pertinent to
> > sgml-data. Here's the link:
> >
> > http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html#USRSHARESGMLSGMLANDXMLDATA
>
> I don't get it.  What in there is relevant to specific files I'm
> shipping in sgml-data?  Can you just tell me specific DTD/entities
> you're talking about?

Sure.

- /usr/share/sgml/html is a required directory.*

- /usr/share/xml/xhtml is a required directory.*

Symbolic links with these names will, however, satisfy the requirements.

The above two points are the only ones I thought might be relevant to
sgml-data.

Cheers,
Mark
--